The winners of the seventh annual ACI Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards have been announced. The recognition program showcased dozens of innovative concrete projects from around the world.
The award program honors the visions of the most creative projects in the concrete industry, while providing a platform to recognize concrete innovation, technology, and excellence across the globe. To be eligible for participation in the ACI Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards, projects need to be nominated by an ACI Chapter, an International Partner, or selected through self-nomination.
The "Overall Excellence” award was presented to Aldilonda promenade around Bastia fortress, located in Corse-du-Sud, France. The winning concrete project also received first place in the flatwork category at the ACI Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards during the ACI Virtual Concrete Convention on Monday, October 18, 2021.
Constructed at the foot of the Bastia fortress on the island of Corsica, the Aldilonda promenade is a sinuous path set into rock, giving pedestrians, disabled people, and cyclists access to 450 m (1480 ft) of coastline. The pathway unfolds like a suspended balcony over the water, following the contours of the meandering coastline and allowing ramblers direct contact with the rocky cliff. The reinforced concrete pathway pierces the rock below the fortress to connect the city’s north and south parts through a tunnel constructed using board-formed architectural concrete.
In addition to the highest honor, the “Overall Excellence” award which was presented to the Aldilonda promenade around Bastia fortress, additional global projects recognized during the ACI Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards include:
• 1st Place: Leopoldo 1201, São Paulo, Brazil
• 2nd Place: Statue of Belief – Lord Shiva Statue & Allied Works in Nathdwara, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
• 1st Place: Deichman Bjørvika, Oslo, Norway
• 2nd Place: Center for Culture, Arts and Design in Aquitaine, Bordeaux, France
• 1st Place: Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts, Arizona, USA
• 2nd Place: Infinity House, Metro Manila, Philippines
• 1st Place: The Cave That Travelled, Kerala, India
• 2nd Place: Acoustically Diffuse and Absorbent Lightweight Aerated Concrete, Oklahoma, USA
• 1st Place: The Darwin Bridges, Montreal, Canada
• 2nd Place: Viaduct V3 in the duplication of Tamoios Highway, São Paulo, Brazil
Repair & Restoration
• 1st Place: The Austonian | Exposed Slab Edge Repairs, Texas, USA
• 2nd Place: Adaptive Reuse at 225 W. Madison, Arizona, USA
• 1st Place: Aldilonda promenade around Bastia fortress, Corse-du-Sud, France.
• 2nd Place: INTEL MLCP Multi-Level Car Park, for M/s Intel Technology India Pvt. Ltd., Karnataka, India
The winning project details can be found at ACIExcellence.org. Entries for the 2022 ACI Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards are being accepted now through April 29, 2022.